Monday, February 20, 2017

CYOA: Crappy Parades and Creepy Husbands

Puritan Massachusetts straight up sucked. I get that public humiliation was a popular form of punishment, but a parade, really? I get that the Puritans were not the best at having a good time, but their idea of parades was messed up. I don't know about you but shame parades are not my idea of entertainment... Who am I kidding, yes they are. Anyways, it is still a pretty bad parade. Besides crappy parades, they also shame her with having her wear a red A on her chest. OH, THE HORROR!!! Something that I truly appreciate about Hester is her stubbornness. The A is supposed to bring her embarrassment and shame but she really shoves that up everyone's asses by making that A pretty as hell. Girl has got some mean embroidery skills because people are envious of that golden guided A. I love when the main character is a strong woman who is also sly as hell. Unfortunately for her her day gets just a bit worse when her crazy estranged husband starts lurking around her shame parade. This poor woman cannot catch a break. My favorite part is that good old hubby shows up dressed as a native American. Like that isn't conspicuous at all. Just some white dude trying to play dress up at a shame parade. He then plays even more pretend when he is like, "Okay honey, I am going to make up a fake name so I can kill the dude that got your preggo." He also picks that best name ever, Chillingworth. I can just imagine some pompous British guys with a high pitched voice saying that name and no one taking him seriously. Hester seems oddly fine with this plan which I find a tad weird. He becomes suspicious of the hot young priest, who SPOILER ALERT, is the baby daddy.


So Chillingworth does what by far is the best thing I have read yet, stalks that scoundrel: FOR FIVE YEARS. This is just so entertaining to me. Five years... FIVE FREAKING YEARS. I just don't think I will ever get over that. 


Bonus: Every time I read Arthur Dimmesdale's name I can't help but think of the town from The Fairly Odd Parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment